Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tech Learning Theories

First- Go Bulls!  Next- What happened to my 90 degrees and sunny? and Finally...

One major issue I struggle with in my classroom is how to integrate tech into the lesson and make sure it is meaningful.  I usually try to integrate the lesson into technology (yes, I know- this is the WRONG way to do it).  This particular chapter in the text about how learning theories are an important component in how tech gets integrated into the classroom really got me thinking.  I had never thought about how my pedagogy effected how tech would be used in my room.  It was kind of a "duh" moment for me. 
The chapter introduced TPACK and TIP.  
Bugger! I wanted to use the myeducationlab.com to see a more concrete example of the TPACK model but could I?  Noooooooooooo.  Stupid used book.  Anyways, I don't feel that I have a complete understanding of the TPACK.  I understand that it is a "metacognitive tool" for teachers to use to identify their domain knowledge of content, pedagogy, and technology....however I don't see how because I don't see an example of it.  It just sounds like teachers need to be (as my husband likes to say) self-aware of their short comings and strengths in technology.  I can tell my tech people at work that I am tech savvy until the cows come home because I can navigate my way through a PC, use Word and PowerPoint proficiently and I know how to operate my PolyVision board (interactive white board).  But...do I really know what to do with it in the classroom?  No!  I believe the only thing TPACK can provide us as educators is the realization that everything is interconnected (content, pedagogical, and technological knowledge).  

TIP will be useful for me- it breaks down how to evaluate the effectiveness of the technology I plan to implement.  It gives great questions to consider when organizing a lesson with technology. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts Courtney, as you have a strong voice! It's fun to read! The TIP model seemed useful to me as well. You make an excelent point that knowing the technology isn't the same as knowing how to USE the technology FOR teaching students.

    ReplyDelete